Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Parading Pachyderms and Other Perplexities

At 12:30 this morning/last night, I beheld a side of NYC that I had not yet seen. You wouldn't think that things could surprise me anymore here, but let me tell you! It was weird. It was strange. It was oddly exhilarating. What was this spectacle, you ask?

I saw TEN ELEPHANTS walk out of the Queens Midtown Tunnel into Manhattan and across 34th Street. Where were these mammoth specters going? Why, to Madison Square Garden, of course, to the circus! And apparently elephants don't fit in the subway tunnels or on trains. So they walk from Queens to Manhattan. At midnight.

Through the crowded streets, the elephants marched trunk-to-tail. The lead elephant was bedecked with a crimson saddle and an official-looking rider. Clowns ran around, waving at the audience, but people barely noticed them. Yes, the loxodonta cyclotii were the main attraction.

And, might I say, they were AWESOME.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Yay elephants! I'd have felt like I was back in Thailand if I had been there! They wouldn't parade so much in Thailand, though, they'd try to earn money for their owners. Good times.