Thursday, March 19, 2009

Over the Hill With Mountains to Go

So, when my dad turned 40, we gave him this little snowglobe. Inside was a middle-aged man, and when you shook the thing, little black hairs floated all around. We thought we were pretty funny. (sidenote: We also thought it was funny when my nephew looked at him and said, "Grandpa, I can see my reflection on your head!)
So, for my 40th post, I've decided on a little self-indulgence. Here are 40 things I've been thinking about. If you have questions, answers, or comments, please pipe in at any time.

1. Has anyone else noticed the irony in Madoff's name? As in... he madoff with my money?
2. How do those ships get into the bottles anyway?
3. Tendency: I will make fun of something enough times (ex. Juilliard) that eventually the Lord will send me there or make me do it (ex. Juilliard). Does this mean that if I make fun of travel writers enough that someday I'll have (get) to do that?
4. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
5. Why is the song "Ma Na Ma Na" by the Muppets so dang addictive? Is it addictive to anyone else, or is that just me?
6. Whoever invented pajamas probably went straight to heaven.
7. Whoever invented high heels probably went straight to the other place.
8. Malarky just might be my new favorite word.
9. Why is Shia Labouf an action hero? Does anyone else have trouble taking him seriously? I see him and think "Even Stevens" and "Holes."
10. "Holes is a great movie. And book. Louis Sachar rocks my socks.
11. What is the wavelength of the spirit? (JK. That's for you Pres. Hedquist fans.)
12. I wonder if I've ever met one of the three Nephites.
13. I don't understand the whole Pluto as a planet/not a planet debate. When I recently read the definition of planet, it made me even more confused. I'm beginning to suspect that we're all making this up as we go along.
14. I love salty. I love sweet. I hate salty and sweet together.
15. Right now I don't have any songs in my head! This is a banner achievement. And weird.
16. I'm going to bet that by the end of this post I will have at least one song in my head again.
17. I have recently learned that I love driving golf carts. I also love to canoe. I wonder what other forms of transportation I would love. Donkey cart? Camel? Surf board?
18. For me, the phrase "It's just like riding a bike" doesn't apply so well. Apparently that's a skill that didn't stick. Just ask Katherine. Although in my defense, I couldn't even walk straight on the day in question. Inner ear problem, I swear.
19. Why does your inner ear affect your balance anyway?
20. This is a really long blog post. I hope people still read my blog after seeing it.
21. I'm accruing more and more m's. By May, I'll be Master of Music Megan Marie Mason. That is cool times five.
22. People tend to have memories of my doing weird things. I do not remember most of them. Either they are making them up, or I'm really good at blocking things out. I choose door #1.
23. I'd like to know where the expression "cool as a cucumber" came from. 10 points if you can tell me.
24... is a good tv show. But I only watched the first season.
25. This is how old I will be in about 8 months. It is also one of my favorite numbers. I love the number 5 and all its multiples. I have no idea why.
26. Babies love me. Toddlers love me. Kids over 10 love me. What happens in between?
27. Why are men from Mars and women from Venus? Why not Mercury and Saturn?
28. Why is "Romeo and Juliet" one of Shakespeare's most famous and beloved plays? When I finally read it, I realized it's not even in the running to be his best.
29. While I'm on the subject of Shakespeare-- some people say Francis Bacon was the actual author of Shakespeare's works and that he was a made-up persona. While I naturally shy away from this sort of conspiracy theory, I can't deny that there is some reason to think something of the sort. What do you think?
30. I found out recently that my roommate totally believes in several conspiracy theories. She is otherwise very normal.
31. I love Dutch art more than anything. Whether you are talking Vermeer, Steen, Rembrandt, or Van Gogh, I can't get enough of it. Why is that part of the world so talented?
32. Why do I despise Andy Warhol and love Miro? I don't get it.
33. Why does oppression make the arts thrive? Take Russia for example. Think about the literature, art, music, and dance that has come out of that part of the world for centuries, during centuries of oppression. It seems like they knew the full range of the human spirit and the cruelties and miracles of which humans are capable.
34. I have three great uncles named Merrill, Lynn, and Monroe. I was the only one in my family who put that together (marilyn monroe). Weird. I would have thought someone else would have caught that.
35. The other day I laughed so hard I cried. I had forgotten how good that feels.
36. Am I the only person who feels like my life path doesn't take me from Point A to Point B but instead goes to Point X? I look back on some of my life and shake my head in disbelief.
37. I have had several dreams literally come true. The other night I was packing and couldn't find my jacket. I dreamed that it was in an inside zipper in my suitcase. The next morning I awoke, looked in that zipper, and sure enough. It was there. Cool, eh?
38. What are dreams, for reals?
39. World War II affects me deeply. I feel connected to all the stories and history of it. I have been to Normandy, and it is hallowed ground. When I learn more about it, I am even more grateful to the brave men and women who fought for life and innocence. I think this war gets to me all the more because it is sort of the most recent where there was a clear picture of right and wrong.
40. There are hundreds of people who have passed in and out of my life. I remember many of them, and they are more important to me than they realize. I wonder where many of them have ended up. Some have popped up in the oddest places, and it has been wonderful to reconnect with them. I hope that I have affected their lives for good as they have mine.
Happy 40th everyone!

2 comments:

Lex said...

5. grrr you always get that stuck in my head. grrrrrr.
11. I <3 Pres. Hedquist-ness. I've been reading through old notes that I took from when he's spoken to us in the past. Are you mind reading me again?
13. I was there when you read that def. That makes me feel cool.
15. Is that possible? I don't believe it. I have the muppets song still in my head.
24. I'm slow. I didn't get what the show was at first. Sad. I'm slow.
31. I think that different parts of the world are good at things and certain times. I also think that different periods of art speak to us. I think art is a reflection of inner-self. Your inner-self is just Vermeer-like.
36.Point A to Point B as we think about it doesn't exist. You'll know that for real once you turn 25.

Okay, thats all I got tonight. I like meganisms.

Jessica said...

I read it ALL! I just wanted to let you know because I was like... FOURTY things?! But then I thought .. well .. it is fourty things by MEGAN MARIE MASON! So I read them. And I laughed. In the library. By myself. :O) I miss you.