Saturday, January 31, 2009

Filling My Reservoir

Yesterday I went to the Frick Collection, one of my favorite museums in NYC (although I feel that I say that about every museum except the Guggenheim). It's amazing. It's the personal collection of one Henry Clay Frick, a big steel magnate who was in business with the likes of the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts in the late 1800s-early 1900s. His goal was to purchase art that was "easy to live with," and that really comes through in the viewing of it. There is nothing brash, aggressive, or violent. Although there are many shades of human history, landscapes, portraits, and objects, the pieces inspire thought and reflection, never offense. As my friend Elliot said to me yesterday, "It's like dessert for the eyes."

The collection is housed in Frick's 5th Avenue mansion, built with its display in mind. Frick always intended to leave his art to the public upon his death, and he went to great lengths to arrange the works in an interesting manner. It is a completely unique viewing experience, because nothing is in chronological order, and you will see an ancient Ming vase atop a 16th Century French table, underneath an El Greco, flanked by 15th Century Italian alterpieces. This may seem chaotic at first, but it makes you see the art in a different, more holistic and global, way.

Mr. Frick truly loved his collection. It's said that at night he would go downstairs and stare at his artworks (especially a self-portrait by Rembrandt) for hours. He said, "I only hope that the public will gain even half the enjoyment I have from these works." Well, he certainly touched me. Going to the collection yesterday was the perfect foil for the chaos and stress in my life right now. I found myself smiling, laughing, even crying as I beheld the outpouring of the human soul. It refreshed me for the challenges of the next two weeks, and it enriched my soul.

To me, Henry Frick is the ultimate art benefactor. I love seeing what he chose to include and what he chose to exclude. Whatever his reasons, his spirit and love for the arts, both visual and decorative, shines forth when you have the privilege of walking these halls. I just feel like saying thank you, Mr. Frick, for having a love of beauty and peace and for making that passion available to all those who came after you. This post is dedicated to you and to the wonderful centuries of artists who share your dedication.

For more information on the Frick go http://www.frick.org/.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

This is REAAAAAALLY weird. I am currently reading a book called "Chasing Vermeer" in which very strange circumstances occur having to do with the art of Jan Vermeer. For example, one main character has a small box with a painting on it, but he doesn't know who did the painting. He delivers a book to a lady's house for his job, and she has that painting on her wall and tells him that it is by Vermeer and is called "The Geographer." He wants to learn more about it, so gets a book out of the library, and looks at others of Vermeer's paintings. His friend down the street has a dream about a lady in yellow (on the same day the first kid got the book out of the library), so dresses up as her for Halloween. Her friend recognizes her costume from one of Vermeer's paintings in the book, even though the girl didn't know that the girl in her dream was also in a painting ("The Writer") and so on. Needless to say, I'm a little creeped out by the fact that you have (a photoshopped-looking copy of) "The Geographer" here on your blog. THE BOOK IS COMING TO LIFE!!!!!!!!

Livi said...

Megan! yeah we can keep up with each other and be blog friends! I never got to the Frick - so glad you did, thanks for the great review.