Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bond. James Bond.

It was a Jonah week. But, things got better for him, right? So, I decided to do something to cheer myself up... and then I was too tired, so I spent the night at home, eating Chinese food and watching Psych. Then, I started thinking about all my favorite tv shows and movies, past and present, and I realized that they definitely run in themes. All I'm going to say is, I may or may not have a hero complex.

I blame it on Psych, Alias, Burn Notice, Monk, Good Night and Good Luck, Hitchcock, Breach, Poirot, Miss Marple, Harrison Ford, and many, many others.

The effect this has had on me is interesting. Musician by day, international woman of mystery by nighttime wanderings. I have definitely been to the International Spy Museum, and Julia Child definitely became more interesting to me when I found out she was in the OSS. I love suspense in all its delicious forms, and if I can predict the ending to a movie or book, it's dead to me. I also may or may not have had upwards of 10 dreams one summer in which I was a spy. Some of you have heard songs from a musical I partially wrote called "How to Be a Villain."

Since I'm actually kind of an open book (or am I), a life of espionage is probably beyond me (or is it?), and that is probably for the best. So, for now I'll pick up one of my favorite Agatha Christie novels and bury myself deep in other people's problems. It will, as always, pleasantly distract me from real life when I read a book in which the person who dies is nearly always universally disliked, people are quirky but loveable, and you never liked the villain anyway.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

So a spy, huh? That's pretty awesome. Can you get me a cool spy gadget?

Elizabeth Downie said...

Which is your favorite Agatha Christi novel?

MMMegan said...

I think it may be "And Then There Were None," also known as "Ten Little Indians." Mystery islands, creepy killers, mystery fiction at its best. What's your favorite Christie, Elizabeth?